Diagnosing hepatitis C is not simple and straightforward. In this section, you’ll learn about:
Quick Facts on HEP C TESTING
- Get tested for Hep C if you think you’ve ever had contact with someone else’s blood, even one time.
- You need more than one type of test. The first test will tell you only if you have ever had contact with the Hep C virus in the past. This is called an antibody test.
- The antibody test is not enough to know if you have Hep C for sure.
- A second type of test for the Hep C virus is needed to tell if there is active virus in your body, how much is there, and what kind it is. This is called an RNA test.
- To be safe, you may also need tests for other viruses like HIV, hepatitis A and hepatitis B.
- With all the right tests, you’ll have the full picture and can decide what to do next about your health.